Alternative medicine is big business these days. While "Buyer Beware" is always a good thing to take shopping with you, many alt med techniques have proven to be quite effective in reducing pain and healing injuries. Alternative medicine is anything that stimulates your body and/or mind to heal itself. When it comes to alternative medicine, think healing from the inside out. Techniques can range from the uplifting power that music has to guided imagery with subtle movement for releasing tension in key movement areas.
Here are some ideas for alternative medicine solutions to back and neck problems:
- Feldenkrais - Feldenkrais is a system of unlearning inefficient movement habits. It is gentle, with few, if any negative side effects. While the system of Feldenkrais does not promise reduction in pain, most students of this method would happily tell you that by changing problematic patterns of motion, their back pain either diminished or disappeared.
- Pelvic Power - Did you know that the pelvis, hips and tailbone are located in the physical center of your body? This is the area where balance is established, and therefore a potentially very powerful area for spinal healing.
- Accupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine - The Chinese have a system of medicine that is thousands of years old. For diagnosis, accupuncture uses a view of the person in her or his entirety. Accupuncture has been studied extensively for its ability to relieve pain associated with musculoskeletal conditions, and the results have helped this ancient healing technique gain entry into hospitals and allopathic doctors' offices around the country.
- Belly Breathing for Pain Relief
- Attitude Adjustment - It can be empowering, even fun!